PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island — An elderly man and a firefighter have been taken to a hospital after a morning fire in Providence.
The fire started around 10 a.m. Friday on the home's porch.
Hugo Ponte, who was passing by at the time, ran into the house to get everyone out. He told WPRI-TV that there were four people inside and he carried at least one woman to safety.
A relative says a cigarette started the fire.
Fire officials say their job was complicated by wind and oxygen tanks inside the house.
The firefighter injured his back. The elderly resident was taken to the hospital to be checked out.
All content copyright ©2014 Daily Journal, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.