Daily Journal masthead

Russian minister says 'no threat' to World Cup from Blatter's exit as FIFA president

bug
Share/Save/Bookmark

MOSCOW — Russia says that Sepp Blatter's decision to step down as FIFA president poses "no threat" to its hosting of the 2018 World Cup.

Blatter announced his intention to quit last month and new elections will be held against the backdrop of U.S. and Swiss investigations into corruption allegations, including some that involve the bidding for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

Russian Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko says that any new FIFA president will "provide full support" for Russia's World Cup, which he called FIFA's "pearl."

FIFA should now "restore trust" in football after various scandals, he added.

The date for a new presidential election will be set at an emergency meeting of FIFA's executive committee on July 20 in Zurich.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

Story copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to info@ap.org and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Category:

Follow Daily Journal:

All content copyright ©2015 Daily Journal, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.