SUNBURY, Pennsylvania — A newlywed husband convicted along with his wife in the stabbing death of a stranger who prosecutors said was lured through a Craigslist ad is seeking a new trial.
The (Sunbury) Daily Item reports that 23-year-old Elytte Barbour argues in court documents filed Monday in Northumberland County that he wasn't the "mastermind" behind the slaying.
Barbour and 19-year-old Miranda Barbour pleaded guilty last year to second-degree murder in the November 2013 stabbing death of 42-year-old Troy LeFerrara of Port Trevorton.
Elytte Barbour in his appeal attributes his plea to ineffective counsel and says he wasn't allowed to see psychological evaluations that would have bolstered his insanity defense.
Miranda Barbour has said that her husband knew exactly what the two of them planned to do.
Information from: The Daily Item, http://www.dailyitem.com