Daily Journal masthead

Apartment building blaze displaces 7 residents; grease suspected as cause


MONTAGUE, Massachusetts — A fire has heavily damaged a western Massachusetts apartment house and displaced seven people.

The fire started shortly before 3 a.m. Thursday in the kitchen of the Montague home.

About 70 firefighters from 17 fire departments battled the blaze. Trucks had to shuttle water from a hydrant about a quarter mile away due to a lack of hydrants in the area. The scene was cleared at around 11:45 a.m.

Officials say a dog perished in the fire but seven residents and a guest escaped. The American Red Cross was at the scene to help them.

Authorities suspect that grease was the cause of the flames. A trooper with the state Fire Marshal's office is investigating.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

Story copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to info@ap.org and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.

We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)


Follow Daily Journal:

All content copyright ©2015 Daily Journal, a publication of AIM Media Indiana unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.