BISMARCK, North Dakota — A state program that helps North Dakota residents dispose of unusable or unwanted pesticides free of charge collected a record 150 tons this year.
More than 300 farmers, ranchers, chemical applicators and homeowners took part in the Project Safe Send program this year, bringing chemicals that eclipsed the 2012 record of 145 tons, Agriculture Commissioner Doug Goehring said Tuesday. He cites increased efforts to inform the public about the program, including through social media.
The collections were conducted in a dozen cities in July. The herbicides, insecticides, rodenticide and fungicides that were collected will be taken to incinerators out of state for disposal.
The Project Safe Send program was started in 1992. It's funded by fees that pesticide manufacturers pay to register their products in North Dakota. Last year, collections dipped to 125 tons, but at the time it was still the second-highest total in program history.
The collections in recent years show a continued need for the program, Goehring said.
"Project Safe Send is a recognized model as a means for the public to help ensure a healthy environment by safely getting rid of these chemicals," he said in a statement. "The need for this program will continue, as more people learn how it benefits them and as more pesticides become obsolete and are no longer usable for current applications."