Daily Journal masthead

Taliban suicide car bomber targets NATO convoy in Kabul, wounding 2 people

bug
Share/Save/Bookmark

KABUL, Afghanistan — A suicide car bomber targeted a NATO convoy in the Afghan capital on Tuesday, wounding at least two people, damaging several cars and shattering windows on a road in eastern Kabul, Afghan officials said.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack. A NATO spokesman in Kabul, Col. Brian Tribus, confirmed the attack shortly before noon and said the coalition was gathering more information on the incident.

One of the wounded was an Afghan civilian while the second person was from the convoy, said Gen. Abdul Rahman Rahimi, the city's police chief who was at the scene of the blast. He did not elaborate.

In a text message to media, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said the attack targeted a "foreign car."

U.S. and NATO combat troops pulled out of the country at the end of last year, leaving full security responsibility in the hands of Afghan forces. The coalition has remained in Afghanistan in a training and support role.

Since then, the Taliban have stepped up attacks targeting Afghan officials, soldiers and local security forces.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

Story copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to info@ap.org and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Category:

Follow Daily Journal:

All content copyright ©2015 Daily Journal, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.