Daily Journal masthead

Officials: Child accidentally set fire in Miami building; several treated for smoke inhalation

bug
Share/Save/Bookmark

MIAMI — Miami fire officials say an apartment fire accidentally set by a child forced a mass evacuation.

Authorities say the fire started on the balcony of a fourth floor unit Wednesday evening. Fire captain Ignatius Carroll says it appears an 11-year old girl started the fire while she was sewing outside on the balcony and using matches to seal thread.

Just after 7 p.m. fire trucks rushed to the 60-unit apartment building where fire quickly spread through the apartment the girl was in with her mother, a 6-year old sister and her 15-year old brother.

Authorities say eight people were treated for smoke inhalation. All are expected to fine.

It is unclear how many of the building's units were damaged.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

Story copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to info@ap.org and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Category:

Subjects:

Places:

 

Follow Daily Journal:

All content copyright ©2015 Daily Journal, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.