DUBLIN — Ireland striker Robbie Keane may miss a 2016 European Championship qualifier against Scotland on Saturday after two family members died after being overcome by toxic fumes in a sewer.
Keane's cousin, Alan Harris, died on Wednesday and Alan's brother, Stephen, died on Friday. They were inspecting underground pipes on a housing estate in Portmarnock, north Dublin.
Keane, who plays for the Los Angeles Galaxy and is Ireland's record scorer, trained on Friday but did not attend Ireland's pre-game news conference in Dublin.
Ireland manager Martin O'Neill says Keane is "quite down at the moment," and will leave the striker to decide if he is mentally ready to play on Saturday.
O'Neill says, "I don't think you could ever question his professionalism, it's how he's feeling within himself, really, as much as anything else."