FILE - In this Sunday, Aug. 24, 2014 file photo, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif speaks during a joint news conference with his Iraqi counterpart in Baghdad. With little more than two months to deadline, Iran and six world powers on Friday, Sept. 19, 2014, launched a fresh effort at narrowing stubborn differences on what nuclear concessions Tehran must agree to in exchange for full sanctions relief. (AP Photo/Ahmed Saad, Pool)
UNITED NATIONS — Diplomats are reporting a setback at talks on Iran's nuclear program, saying Tehran has resumed rejecting U.S. demands it repurpose a uranium enrichment site.
They told The Associated Press Monday that Tehran is invoking what it says was an Israeli drone shot down last month near another Iranian enrichment site in arguing that it wants to leave the underground facility as an enrichment plant.
The U.S. wants the site shut down or converted because it is dug deep into a mountain. Washington fears it is impervious to air attack. Enrichment can make both reactor fuel and the core of a nuclear weapon.
Iran denies it wants nuclear arms. It was discussing reconfiguring the site until the start of the current round.
The diplomats demanded anonymity because their information is confidential.
All content copyright ©2014 Daily Journal, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.