MILWAUKEE — The bankruptcy reorganization plan filed by the Catholic Archdiocese of Milwaukee includes compensation for more clergy abuse victims than originally announced in a settlement earlier this month.
In a filing Monday in U. S. Bankruptcy Court, 33 additional victims would be compensated by the $21 million settlement, which is part of the reorganization. Members of the creditors committee recently questioned the exclusion of 72 people they thought were included when the settlement was announced.
The archdiocese originally said 330 victims of 570 people who filed claims would be compensated. The Journal Sentinel (http://bit.ly/1ETa6Vz ) says another 92 claimants could accept a $2,000 payment or try to convince a judge that they belong in the larger pool of compensated victims.
The reorganization plan needs approval from creditors and a bankruptcy judge. A confirmation hearing is scheduled to begin Nov. 9.
Information from: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, http://www.jsonline.com