NEW ORLEANS — A third man and a woman were arrested Monday in connection with a drive-by shooting that killed two people and injured five others in New Orleans, police said.
Joseph Nelson III, 23, is accused of being one of two gunmen who fired into a group on Aug. 10, police said in a news release. They said Ashley Shorts, 25, allegedly helped one of the men avoid detection.
Police say Nelson was booked with two counts of first-degree murder and five of attempted first-degree murder, and Shorts was booked with conspiracy to obstruct justice. Nelson was on probation until April 23, 2016, for a burglary conviction, a police news release said.
Police booked two men last week — Blair Taylor, 20, on the same charges as Nelson, and Jeffrey Rivers, 25, as a principal to those crimes — for allegedly providing the car and a gun that Taylor used.
The gunfire erupted shortly before 8 p.m. in New Orleans' Lower 9th Ward, killing Terrance McBride, 33, who police said was the shooters' intended target, and Jasmine Anderson, 16.
The gunshots also seriously wounded two small boys and their mother.
Ronal Serpas, who retired Monday as the city's police chief, said last week that investigators believe the shooting was drug-related, but has not given any details.
All content copyright ©2014 Daily Journal, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.