NEW HAVEN, Connecticut — Thousands have walked across the replacement Pearl Harbor Memorial Bridge on Interstate 95 in New Haven to celebrate its completion.
One of those taking part Saturday was Jodi Marra of Guilford. She told WVIT-TV (http://bit.ly/1KnAR9f) she drove on the old bridge over the Quinnipiac River, and drove on it the day it opened in 1958.
Pearl Harbor survivor Floyd Welch said the bridge honoring the World War II battle "will last year after year."
They joined federal, state and local officials who dedicated one of the biggest public works projects ever in Connecticut.
The bridge is a key part of an 18-year, nearly $2 billion I-95 improvement program in the New Haven Harbor area.
State officials say the bridge is being finished six months ahead of schedule. Some connections to I-91 and Route 34 must be completed.
Information from: WVIT-TV, http://www.nbcconnecticut.com