KABUL, Afghanistan — Afghan officials warn that food and other emergency supplies cannot get through to the city of Kunduz, where fighting is still underway in some outskirts between Afghan forces and the Taliban.
A woman donates money at a tent of the Afghanistan 3rd Trend, a civil organization to help displaced people from Kunduz, as its staff members work in Kabul, Afghanistan, Monday, Oct. 5, 2015. Mohammad Omer Safi, the sacked former governor of Kunduz, whose capital city was seized by the Taliban last week, said Monday that he repeatedly warned the government that Kunduz was vulnerable to attack and that his appeals to beef up protection fell on deaf ears, deepening concerns that the Afghan leadership failed to act until it was too late. (AP Photo/Massoud Hossaini)
Insurgents overran and held Kunduz for three days last week until government forces launched a counter-offensive. The Taliban have since largely been pushed out, but fighting continues in some areas.
Aslim Sayas, a deputy head of the Afghan disaster management, said on Tuesday that the situation is still too dangerous and unpredictable for supplies to be trucked into Kunduz. Instead, he says authorities are helping the population that has fled from Kunduz.
The Afghan government has been criticized for ignoring warnings earlier of Taliban threats to Kunduz. The city's capture was an embarrassing blow to President Ashraf Ghani.
Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!
Story copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to email@example.com and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.