COLLEGEVILLE, Minnesota — A six-month investigation has concluded that sexual abuse allegations levied against a former prior at St. John's Abbey were unsupported, according to school officials.
Last summer, a former student at St. John's Preparatory School in Collegeville accused the Rev. Thomas Andert of sexual abuse sometime between 1979 and 1980, Minnesota Public Radio News (http://bit.ly/20eiZmR ) reported.
An independent investigator reviewed contemporary records and documents, and obtained testimony from the former student's classmates and teachers, as well as other campus officials who worked at St. John's Abbey at the time the incidents are alleged to have occurred, school officials said Thursday.
"The investigation did not find any support for the (former student's) allegations that he was sexually abused by Fr. Andert," according to a statement.
The school's external review board re-examined case and reached the conclusion that the allegations "not substantiated by the facts," the statement said.
St. John's Abbot John Klassen agreed with the board's conclusion.
Andert resigned his position as prior and was granted a sabbatical. He'll spend the sabbatical at St. John's.
On Thursday, St. John's officials also said allegations brought by the same former student against the Rev. Allen Tarlton were found to be unsubstantiated.
Tarlton, a monk at the Abbey, died last month, according to the statement.
Information from: Minnesota Public Radio News, http://www.mprnews.org