Overland Park apartment residents evacuated before roof collapses during fire; no injuries


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)




OVERLAND PARK, Kansas — Firefighters helped evacuate residents during a fire at an Overland Park apartment complex shortly before a roof collapsed.

No residents were injured during the fire early Wednesday at the two-story Aspen Lodge Apartments.

The fire was brought under control in less than an hour. The Overland Park fire department said in a news release that residents from 16 units are displaced. The apartment management and Red Cross are working to help find new homes for residents.

One Overland Park firefighter was taken to a hospital with minor medical issues.

Officials say the fire started after someone discarded a burning cigarette in a planter on a balcony and the blaze quickly spread to the wood roof and the rest of the building.

All content copyright ©2014 Daily Journal, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Click here to read our privacy policy.