Cleanup begins in Maine after powerful snowstorm leaves some with more than 2 feet of snow


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)





Maine residents are beginning to clean up after a powerful snow storm dropped more than 2 feet of snow in some areas. (Jan. 28)

Photo Gallery:

Click to view (9 Photos)

AUGUSTA, Maine — Some schools and businesses remained closed on Wednesday as Maine residents began to clean up after a powerful snowstorm left some cities and towns buried under more than 2 feet of snow.

Many travel services resumed and state government offices reopened, but many Mainers still were digging out while forecasters warned that more snow could be on the way.

Cathy DeMerchant of Vassalboro said she and her husband John woke up to about 2 feet of snow on their 300-foot driveway, which John spent about 90 minutes plowing with a tractor on Wednesday. Plowing their entire property began around 5 a.m. and was finally finished by 11:30 a.m., she said.

"Although he was complaining, I did see a smile on his face as he was heading out," DeMerchant said. "You know boys and their toys."

The state's southernmost county was the hardest hit on Tuesday, with towns like Sanford getting more than 31 inches of snow, said Michael Cempa, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Gray. Meanwhile, Lewiston received 27 inches and Portland got just less than 2 feet, he said.

Despite gusts up to 60 miles per hour in some coastal towns, power outages were not widespread Tuesday — thanks to light and fluffy snow that didn't weigh down power lines. As of Wednesday afternoon, fewer than 200 customers were without power.

But the relief may not last long for many Mainers.

Most of the state will see more snow on Friday, with some areas potentially receiving another 6 inches, Cempa said. The heaviest snow will likely fall in the north, which didn't get hit as hard earlier this week, he said.

Another storm may be heading this way Monday, and it could bring more snow and possibly rain to some areas on the coast, Cempa said.

Scheduled flights resumed at the state's airports, post offices were reopened and limited Amtrak Downeaster train service between Brunswick and Boston was restored.

But public schools in Portland, Bangor, Lewiston and other towns stayed closed Wednesday, and parking bans in several cities remained in place as crews continued to clean up the roads. The Legislature postponed all committee hearings and delayed office openings.

Associated Press writer Patrick Whittle in Portland contributed to this report.

All content copyright ©2015 Daily Journal, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Click here to read our privacy policy.