Daily Journal masthead

Human Rights group: more than 2,000 migrants have died crossing the Mediterranean this year

bug
Share/Save/Bookmark

MILAN — A human rights group says nearly 2,000 migrants are known to have died so far this year crossing the Mediterranean, outpacing last year's death toll.

The International Organization for Migration said in a release on Tuesday that about 1,930 perished trying to reach Italy in unseaworthy boats mostly departing from Libya. Another 60 died trying to reach Greece.

IOM chief William Lacy Swing called the deaths of migrants fleeing conflict and other hardship "unacceptable."

The latest deaths were recorded last week when 19 people perished, most from heat exhaustion and thirst after drinking water was used to cool a boat's engine. Officials note that not all migrant deaths are known.

In the same period last year, the IOM says 1,607 migrants had perished. The year-end death toll was 3,279.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

Story copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to info@ap.org and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Category:

Follow Daily Journal:

All content copyright ©2015 Daily Journal, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.