Congo's army pursues assailants after attack in east that civil society says killed dozens

bug


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Places:

 


KINSHASA, Congo — A provincial governor says Congo's army is searching for the perpetrators of a new attack in the country's east that civil society groups say killed at least 50 people.

North Kivu Governor Julien Paluku said Saturday that nine bodies had been recovered from the attack committed by unknown assailants near the town of Beni, more than 300 kilometers (186 miles) north of Goma, the provincial capital.

A coalition of North Kivu civil society groups said Friday that between 50 and 80 people were killed in the attack Thursday.

More than 100 people have been killed in recent attacks in the region. The government has blamed the Allied Defense Forces rebel group.

Congo's U.N. mission, which is authorized to battle rebel groups, has vowed to help find the perpetrators.

All content copyright ©2014 Daily Journal, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Click here to read our privacy policy.