Hagan campaign says she's committed to 3 NC Senate debates; Tillis wanted at least 10


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

People:

Organizations:

Subjects:

Places:

 


GREENSBORO, North Carolina — North Carolina U.S. Sen. Kay Hagan has agreed to participate in three debates — fewer than the minimum of 10 that Republican challenger Thom Tillis wanted for their fall campaign.

Hagan's campaign said she accepted Wednesday an invitation from the League of Women Voters and WECT-TV for a debate in Wilmington. The campaign says she already agreed to two debates by the North Carolina Association of Broadcasters Educational Foundation.

Tillis had already accepted invitations by the League and broadcasters' foundation. Hagan's debate adviser wrote Tillis saying three debates were held in the 2010 North Carolina Senate race.

Tillis campaign manager Jordan Shaw says it's "totally unacceptable" Hagan wants just three debates, saying it's limiting opportunities for the public to hear them. Shaw says Hagan should compromise and agree to six.

All content copyright ©2014 Daily Journal, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Click here to read our privacy policy.