CINCINNATI — A flawed demolition plan contributed to the collapse of a highway overpass that killed a construction worker in Cincinnati last month, the contractor for the construction project said.
The preliminary findings from an independent engineering firm have been sent to federal and state investigators, according to a statement released Saturday Kokosing Construction Company Inc.
"Our engineering firm has told us that it wouldn't work the way it was," Brian Burgett, chief executive officer of Columbus-based Kokosing, told The Cincinnati Enquirer.
The collapse during demolition work to remove an Interstate 75 ramp bridge just north of downtown Cincinnati killed Brandon Carl on Jan. 19. The parents of the 35-year-old father of four from Augusta, Kentucky, filed a lawsuit a week ago Ohio's Department of Transportation, charging negligence and carelessness.
A Michigan truck driver traveling on I-75 also was injured in the late-night collapse when the front of his vehicle was crushed by the impact with the concrete and debris.
Kokosing said earlier this month that the demolition plan was changed just hours before the structure collapsed, but the company now thinks the plan was flawed from the beginning.
All content copyright ©2015 Daily Journal, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.