Daily Journal masthead

Married couple dies in Old Town house fire; blaze started from cigarette

bug
Share/Save/Bookmark

OLD TOWN, Maine — Authorities say the two people who died in an Old Town house fire were a married couple.

The State Fire Marshal's office says the body of 67-year-old Joseph Prekop was found in the bedroom. The body of his 68-year-old wife Adrienne Raff-Prekop was found in the living room.

The fire was reported at 11:30 a.m. on Saturday. Authorities said they received several 911 calls. One call was from Joseph Prekop who authorities said was overcome by smoke before he could escape.

A state police spokesman said the fire started because of a cigarette Raff-Prekop had been smoking. She was on an oxygen tank.

The spokesman said one firefighter was hurt but his injuries were not considered life-threatening.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

Story copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to info@ap.org and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Category:

Subjects:

Places:

 

Follow Daily Journal:

All content copyright ©2015 Daily Journal, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.