Authorities cite electrical problem in fire in Lansing senior apartments that killed woman, 64

bug


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Subjects:

Places:

 


LANSING, Michigan — Officials in Lansing blame an electrical problem for a fire that killed a 64-year-old woman and forced dozens of other residents to flee.

The fire was reported about 6 p.m. Sunday on the sixth floor of Friendship Manor Apartments.

Friends, relatives and rescue personnel helped residents negotiate the sidewalks as they left the building, and Mayor Virg Bernero paid a visit to them as they sat on an evacuation bus.

The Lansing State Journal and TV stations WLNS and WILX identify the victim as resident Dixie Shaw. Lansing fire spokesman Steve Babcock says the first firefighters to arrive found smoke pouring from an upper floor and called for additional units.

East Lansing and Lansing Township also responded.

All content copyright ©2015 Daily Journal, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Click here to read our privacy policy.