Des Moines man says he was smoking in bed, woke up to find mattress on fire in apartment

bug


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Subjects:

Places:

 


DES MOINES, Iowa — A Des Moines man managed to escape injury after waking up to find his bed on fire.

Des Moines television station KCCI reports (http://bit.ly/X8SOVF) that firefighters were called to an apartment building in the city for a report of a fire around 2:30 p.m. Friday.

Firefighters quickly put out the fire, and no one was injured.

The man who lives in the fire-damaged apartment, Ricki Laughman, tells KCCI that he was smoking in bed and either fell asleep or had a seizure. He says he woke up feeling hot, saw flames on his bed and rolled onto the floor. He says he called 911 and warned neighbors to get out of the building.

An investigation continues.


Information from: KCCI-TV, http://www.kcci.com

All content copyright ©2014 Daily Journal, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Click here to read our privacy policy.