Iraqi officials say Islamic State group lines up, kills 50 tribesmen, women in Anbar province

bug


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Organizations:

Subjects:

Places:

 

Photos:


FILE - In this file photo taken Monday, June 23, 2014, militants from the Islamic State parade in a commandeered Iraqi security forces armored vehicle on a main street in Mosul, Iraq. The Islamic state group has accelerated killings of former policemen and army officers, apparently fearing they might join a potential internal Sunni uprising against its rule. Such killings, including the deadly attack on police Col. Mohammed Hassan and his son in mid October, have accelerated in recent days, as the extremists' opponents - Kurdish fighters and Shiite militias, backed by U.S.-led airstrikes - have made some gains, taking back several towns that the militants had overrun. (AP Photo, File)


BAGHDAD — Iraqi officials in Anbar province say at least 50 tribesmen and women have been lined up and shot dead by Islamic State group militants.

Anbar councilman Faleh al-Issawi said Saturday that the people were killed in the village of Ras al-Maa, north of the provincial capital of Ramadi.

He says the militant group accused the people of retaliating against them after they were displaced from their homes when the group seized the Anbar town of Hit last month.

An official in the Anbar governor's office confirmed the death toll. He spoke on condition of anonymity as he is not authorized to brief journalists.

This is the latest mass killing carried out by the Islamic State group, which has killed civilians, security personnel and minorities in its advance across Iraq and Syria.

All content copyright ©2014 Daily Journal, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Click here to read our privacy policy.