Daily Journal masthead

Fire marshal: Burglar bars trap grandmother, 2 kids who died in Tampa house fire

bug
Share/Save/Bookmark

TAMPA, Florida — Authorities say an overloaded power strip likely caused a fire that killed a 61-year-old Tampa woman and two of her grandchildren.

The fire broke out before dawn on Tuesday and Tampa Fire Marshal Milt Jenkins says burglar bars that required a key from the inside trapped the family inside the burning home. There were no smoke detectors in the home.

Officials say 8-year-old Romello Jackson remains in critical condition at Tampa General Hospital. His grandmother Sheryl James and 8-year-old Reshard Ashley and Emjay Jackson all died in the fire.

Jenkins says the family likely became disoriented in the smoke as they tried to escape. One child was found in a bathroom. The Tampa Tribune (http://bit.ly/1JNaZAi ) reports the grandmother and two children were found half-wedged under a mattress to escape the flames.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

Story copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to info@ap.org and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Category:

Subjects:

Places:

 

Follow Daily Journal:

All content copyright ©2015 Daily Journal, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.