GONZALES, Louisiana — As a cautionary measure, Ascension Parish officials are disinfecting water lines in a west bank parish water district that had brain-eating amoeba elsewhere on its system this summer.
Parish officials said Wednesday the disinfection, known as a chlorine burn, is not being required by state regulators but is being done as a proactive step.
Chief administrative officer Ken Dawson tells The Advocate (http://bit.ly/1I0RHYo) a chlorine burn involves boosting chlorine levels over a 60-day period to a level known to kill the amoeba.
The state Department of Health and Hospitals did order Ascension Consolidated Utilities District No. 1 to do a chlorine burn on a different section of the water system in late July after the amoeba was found there. DHH gave the all-clear Oct. 29 after tests were negative.
Information from: The Advocate, http://theadvocate.com