Daily Journal masthead

Lawsuit is filed in 2014 death of 29-year-old man shot by police in Akron


AKRON, Ohio — The mother of a 29-year-old man killed by police in Ohio last year is suing Akron, saying the officers had no reason to stop him and shoot him in the back.

Northeast Ohio Media Group reports (http://bit.ly/1NR91Uq ) the lawsuit was filed Tuesday in federal court. The suit says Raupheal Thomas was cooperative, affirmative and non-threatening when officers tried to arrest him in November 2014.

According to the lawsuit, Thomas was catching a ride with a friend and was waiting for another vehicle because his friend's car had a flat tire. It alleges Thomas was shot when he was running away and posed no threat to anyone.

Prosecutor Sherri Bevan Walsh said in a July report that the shooting was justified.

The police department and city didn't return messages seeking comment.

Information from: Northeast Ohio Media Group, http://www.cleveland.com

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

Story copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to info@ap.org and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.

We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)


Follow Daily Journal:

All content copyright ©2015 Daily Journal, a publication of AIM Media Indiana unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.