HENRIETTA, New York — Firefighters say a suburban Rochester house explosion would've been deadly if it had happened two minutes earlier.
Henrietta Fire Department Lt. Tom Hayes tells the Democrat and Chronicle of Rochester (http://on.rocne.ws/1R1pzwj ) that firefighters smelled gas Tuesday morning and heard a hissing sound as they walked the homeowner and his wife away from the house. He says they were about 40 feet away when the Monroe County home exploded.
Authorities have said the homeowner, who's in his 80s, crashed his car into a gas meter.
The blast destroyed the two-story home and sparked a fire. Hayes says the explosion came within two minutes after firefighters arrived.
No one was injured.
Officials say a severed natural gas line caused the blast and that the vehicle hit a charcoal grill and a gas-powered lawnmower.
Information from: Rochester Democrat and Chronicle, http://www.democratandchronicle.com