BOSTON — A federal appeals court has upheld the dismissal of a lawsuit brought by Caesars Entertainment against the state's top gambling regulator.
The Las Vegas company said Massachusetts Gambling Commission chairman Stephen Crosby violated its constitutional rights and unfairly favored a competing casino plan from Wynn Resorts. Caesars had been a partner with Suffolk Downs in a proposed casino project at the horse track, but withdrew amid suitability questions raised during a background check by commission investigators.
The appeals court, in a ruling dated Friday, upheld federal Judge Nathaniel Gorton's dismissal.
Writing for the appellate court, retired U.S. Supreme Court Justice David Souter said Caesars had not shown that any "cognizable protected property interest" had been infringed.
Wynn has since been awarded the sole eastern Massachusetts resort casino license.
All content copyright ©2015 Daily Journal, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.