Woman, 88, killed in Newton County fire; extension cord believed to have caused blaze

bug


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Subjects:

Places:

 


OXFORD, Georgia — Authorities in Newton County are investigating a house fire that claimed the life of an Oxford woman.

Fire officials say 88-year-old Willie Peal Foster was killed in the Tuesday blaze at 936 Cook Road in Oxford.

State Insurance Commissioner Ralph Hudgens said the fire began in the family room, where an extension cord appeared to have malfunctioned. Newton County Fire Chief Kevin O'Brien said he was uncertain how the cord malfunctioned but the cause was ruled electrical in nature and the cord appeared to be culprit.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports (http://on-ajc.com/1t4euLb) that Foster was home alone at the time of the fire, which was reported at 10:43 a.m. Tuesday.

Hudgens said Foster's death is the 95th fire fatality in Georgia this year.

Oxford is about 35 miles southeast of Atlanta.


Information from: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, http://www.ajc.com

All content copyright ©2014 Daily Journal, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Click here to read our privacy policy.