DETROIT — The Michigan Historical Commission has approved seven new historical markers throughout the state, including a replacement marker for the Capitol building in Lansing.
Other locations that were approved for markers include: housing for Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts on Mackinac Island; a Native American church near Petoskey; the first African American church on Detroit's west side; and an ice house in Marshall. Over the next several months, the green and gold signs will be purchased and erected by sponsors, joining more than 1,700 other markers scattered across Michigan and out-of-state locations.
The commission also accepted applications for new markers at four other locations, including a TV station in Detroit and the historic district in downtown Buchanan. The eventual approval of those applications is dependent on professional historians at the Michigan Historical Center, who will confirm research, work with sponsors to draft marker texts and make recommendations for final approval at an upcoming commission meeting.
The Michigan Historical Marker program, which was founded in 1955, is dedicated to chronicling significant people, places and events that have played a role in Michigan's heritage.
All content copyright ©2014 Daily Journal, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.