Mission & History
Daily Journal staff
"The Daily Journal is dedicated to community service, defense of individual rights and to providing checks upon government which no constitution can ensure."
Founding editor, 1963
The Daily Journal published its first issue on July 23, 1963 and is the only locally produced daily newspaper in Johnson County.
In the four decades since, the Daily Journal has been very committed to Johnson County businesses and its residents. The Daily Journal is recognized as a top-flight newspaper in Indiana, having won numerous journalism and advertising awards. The Daily Journal is also one of the fastest-growing daily newspapers in the state and has become the No. 1 source for information about Johnson County issues, people and events.
The Daily Journal is located at 2575 N. Morton Street and was the first offset printing plant built in the United States for then-revolutionary printing method.
The work force at the Daily Journal has grown since those days from 25 employees to nearly 100 today. Six days a week, 82 carriers deliver papers to over 16,000 readers. The Daily Journal and its employees are active in the Johnson County community. Our employees belong to and assist in many important civic organizations and youth programs. Our best contribution, however, is the community connection provided by the daily newspaper and award-winning website.
The Hoosier State Press Association honored the Daily Journal with its General Excellence Award in 2003 -- the highest honor for Indiana newspapers in its circulation class. The Daily Journal also won Story of the Year honors against state newspapers of all circulation sizes. In all, the Daily Journal won 23 awards for writing, commentary, editing, photography and design. On January 31, 2000, the Daily Journal began the new millennium by launching its online edition. www.dailyjournal.net includes stories, photos, business advertisements and other information about Johnson County. The website allows readers to get the latest information about the community and more in-depth information from articles published earlier in the day.
The Daily Journal is owned by one of Indiana's most traditional newspaper families. Home News Enterprises LLC of Columbus, Indiana is family newspaper company that traces its origin to The Columbus (IN) Republican, founded in 1872 by Isaac T. Brown. On Nov. 12, 1877, The Columbus Republican went from a weekly paper to the Daily Evening Republican. Isaac T. Brown was eventually joined by his father, Isaac M. Brown, who became the editor of the paper. Isaac T. Brown was the sole owner until he was joined by his son, Raymond, in 1916. Upon the death of Isaac T. Brown in 1917, Raymond Brown assumed full ownership of the business.
Raymond Brown formed a partnership with his wife Anna, in 1942, and operated in this form until 1963, when a family partnership was formed consisting of Raymond and Anna Brown and their adult children, Robert N. Brown, Elizabeth B. Marshall and Dr. Richard Brown. In May 1994, the company changed to a limited liability company thus carrying the LLC designation in the official company name.
Before the death of Raymond Brown, his ownership interests were passed to Robert N. Brown, who in 1946, became the fourth generation active in the management and who was appointed managing partner and publisher in 1964 upon the death of his father. Robert Brown then started the Daily Journal in 1963 to expand his newspaper company. In 1998, Jeffrey N. Brown was appointed president of Home News, becoming the fifth generation active in management. Home News Enterprises, which employees nearly 500 people, also has newspaper interests, commercial printing and special publication operations in Greenfield, Monticello and Nashville.