Follow Daily Journal on social media:
John Snyder, 95, died Monday, Jan. 7, 2013, in Franklin.
John Snyder was born in Memphis, Tenn., and when he was a teenager he came to live with his Uncle Edd Snyder on the farm on Centerline Road near Franklin.
He graduated from Hopewell High School and received his Bachelor of Arts in economics from Franklin College in 1940. He was a member of Phi Delta Theta, where he served as fraternity president.
After graduation, he entered the U.S. Navy and completed his pilot’s training at Pensacola, Fla. When John came home on leave, he married Martha Herring in Norfolk, Va., on March 28, 1942. He rose to the rank of lieutenant commander and was based in both Greenland and Brazil.
After the war, he joined the Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company and worked in Indianapolis and later in New York City, where he was head of the frozen food division. In 1963, he was hired at the Fleming Co. in Topeka, Kan., where he worked until his retirement in 1977.
John moved back to Indiana and purchased the residential acreage of the farm on Centerline Road. He raised Dexter cattle and miniature horses and made numerous improvements to the property, including planting a quarter-mile of sugar maples down the lane.
He also refinished and collected antique tools.
John lived the last 15 years of his life in a cottage at the Franklin United Methodist Community.
He was preceded in death by his wife, Martha, who died in 2003.
He is survived by his three children, Sandra Berhenke of Denver, Barbara Peffers of Christchurch, New Zealand and St. Louis, and John Snyder III of San Antonio; and six grandchildren.
Per John’s wishes, there will be no service.
Flinn & Maguire Funeral Home in Franklin is handling arrangements.
Contributions in his memory can be made to the charity of the donor’s choice.
Online condolences may be made at www.flinnmaguire.com.
All content copyright ©2015 Daily Journal, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.