Daily Journal Masthead

Tragic actions stun man’s family; community reeling after killings

Follow Daily Journal:

Photo Gallery:
Click to view 5 Photos
Click to view (5 Photos)

As the couple returned home in the middle of the night after learning that their son had shot four people and took his own life, they found a phone message waiting for them.

While they slept, Andrew Parish had called. He had shot and killed one woman and wounded three other people, one of whom died the next day. He was driving and in a few minutes would take his own life.

In the time between the shooting in the Heritage subdivision and Parish’s suicide 4 miles away, he talked to his brother and tried to call his father, Jeff Parish.

Jeff and Julie Parish missed the call because they were sleeping. Andrew Parish’s brother called them repeatedly, finally waking them up and telling them what had happened. They hurried out of the house to meet police.

After 3 a.m., they came home, shocked by what had happened. They played the message and heard Andrew’s voice.

“He said I love you more than anything in this world, and he said he was sorry for all of this,” his stepmother, Julie Parish, said. “He said he was dying, and he loved his dad more than anything in the world, and he was getting ready to finish his life.”

They had spent time with 21-year-old Andrew Parish the day before, when they watched the Super Bowl together. They saw no signs that he was upset or would turn violent. He talked about building credit after recently buying his blue Ford Mustang and planned to go skiing for his birthday on Wednesday.

Andrew Parish went to his ex-girlfriend Maria Davis’ house in the Heritage subdivision on Franklin’s northeast side about 10 p.m. Monday. He wanted to reconcile with Davis, whom he had dated for about seven months before the relationship ended in November, Franklin Police Department Detective Adam Joseph said.

An argument started, and Davis’ 12-year-old brother ran across the street to get help from neighbors. The three neighbors spent about 15 minutes trying to calm Andrew Parish and get him to leave, Joseph said. Parish then pulled out a handgun and fired seven or eight shots in the house, striking four people.

Sara Davidson, 19, was killed. Neighbor Ernest Jasper died Tuesday at a hospital in Indianapolis. Jasper’s son Dustin Grey, 21, was shot and remained hospitalized in fair condition on Wednesday afternoon. Davis’ mother, Lianne Smith, was treated and released after the incident.

Davis was not injured.

After the shooting, Parish drove to a farm 4 miles away and shot himself as police arrived.

The Johnson County Sheriff’s Office, which had gone to the farm when a caller reported a suspicious vehicle, turned over Andrew Parish’s vehicle to Franklin police to be searched, Sheriff Doug Cox said.

Police found a 9 mm handgun with two magazines and six rifle magazines with ammunition for the AK-47 he used to shoot himself. The handgun is being sent to the Indiana State Police along with shell casings and projectiles recovered from the shooting for comparison, Joseph said.

Family members and friends had no clues of any tension between Andrew Parish and Davis or noticed any changes in him. Although he was arrested in 2011 for throwing soda on another

ex-girlfriend’s car, police hadn’t been called to any type of dispute between him and Davis and he had no other criminal record.

He and Maria Davis had broken up months ago, Julie Parish said. Andrew Parish had wanted to get engaged, but it never happened. They separated but continued to talk on and off, she said. Family members didn’t see any warnings that would lead them to believe he would go to her house late Monday and start the fight that ended with him killing two people.

“They started talking again, but we didn’t think it was anything serious, and he seemed fine with it. I know he loved her, but he didn’t seem any different,” she said.

Andrew Parish’s police record contained a lone incident that involved a spat with an ex-girlfriend.

A 17-year-old girl he had dated reported the incidents to police, saying that he threw two sodas on her car at Franklin Community High School, according to the police report. Later that day he showed up at her work at Dairy Queen in Trafalgar, bought a drink and threw that on her vehicle as well and marked a window with a stick of deodorant.

The teen told police Andrew Parish had never gotten violent with her, but he did have a short temper, the report said. The girl’s mother told police he had tried to run the girl off the road, the report said.

Police later spoke to Andrew Parish, and he said that he had acted stupidly and would leave her alone.

The officer also explained to Andrew Parish how incidents could escalate into something violent and talked about domestic violence with him during that interview, the report said. Parish completed a pretrial diversion program, and the criminal charge was dismissed.

Andrew Parish would get obsessed when he got into a relationship, which made breakups harder on him, family friend John Cole said. Andrew Parish would do odd jobs for Cole, and he often ate dinner at Cole’s home after the Parishes’ home in Franklin flooded in 2008. Cole hadn’t seen Andrew Parish much this summer because he was spending time with Davis.

Cole did see him at a Franklin business a few weeks ago and found out the couple had broken up, but Andrew Parish didn’t seem any different than he usually did. Cole was shocked to find out that Parish had shot and killed people Monday.

“The kid I knew wasn’t evil,” Cole said. “I couldn’t believe he would do something like that.”

Andrew Parish was a happy kid, always willing to help out friends and loved being outdoors to fish or hunt, Julie Parish said. Although he lived in Franklin with his mother, he would visit his father multiple times each week, she said. He used to visit a friend of his dad’s who was homebound with cancer nearly every day.

The family has no idea what led Andrew Parish to violence. They’ve speculated about whether three vehicle accidents he was involved in last year — two in a car and one on a motorcycle — had caused some sort of problem they weren’t aware of, Julie Parish said. He was going to see a chiropractor for issues with his back, but the family doesn’t think he was on any kind of medication. He didn’t like pills, not even aspirin, Julie Parish said.

“I don’t know what to say. This was not him, and we’re very very sorry for everything and everybody, and our hearts are just breaking for all involved,” Julie Parish said.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

All content copyright ©2016 Daily Journal, a publication of AIM Media Indiana unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.