Daily Journal Masthead

Teen shot in Bargersville drug deal

Follow Daily Journal:



A 15-year-old was shot in the leg during a drug deal in a Bargersville neighborhood, and police arrested another teen who they say fired the gun.

The 15-year-old was planning to sell marijuana to another teen, who came to pick him up in his gated Bargersville neighborhood. The 16-year-old planning to buy the marijuana came with a friend, an 18-year-old who was carrying a gun.

A few moments later, the 15-year-old was running for help to a nearby relative’s house after he had been shot in the leg. And the 18-year-old who police said shot him would soon be arrested, just days after he had been released from the Johnson County Juvenile Detention Center on an unrelated case.


Gunnar Shaw, 18, Greenwood, was arrested on a charge of robbery after the Greenwood SWAT team went to his home early Tuesday morning. The two other teens — the one police said was selling marijuana and the one who came to buy it — haven’t been arrested by police, and any charges they could face will be decided by the prosecutor’s office, police said.

Shootings in Bargersville are rare, and the 15-year-old was lucky to escape the van without getting more seriously injured, Bargersville Police Chief Judd Green said.

“This is an aberration. But drugs are everywhere, and guns are everywhere,” Green said. “I’m just glad it wasn’t any worse.”

The shooting happened around 8 p.m. Monday in Whitetail Woods, a high-end neighborhood near Smokey Row and Whiteland roads. After the 15-year-old left his home and got into the vehicle with the two other teens, they headed toward a gas station. But the vehicle stopped just before the gated entrance into the community. The teen told police Shaw pulled out a handgun, and the 16-year-old told him to empty his pockets, according to the police report.

He threw the small bag of marijuana and tried to get out of the minivan but couldn’t get the door open. He said that’s when Shaw fired a single shot, hitting him in the lower leg, as he managed to get out of the vehicle. He ran to a nearby relative’s house, leaving a blood trail on the ground as the minivan sped away, the report said.

Police were called after the 15-year-old’s mother took him to Community Hospital South for treatment. The bullet went through his leg, and he was treated and released, police said.

Less than 12 hours later, police arrested Shaw in Greenwood. A juvenile prosecutor told police he knew where Shaw was living because he had been released from the county juvenile detention just days earlier, according to a police report.

Greenwood’s SWAT team was called when police went to Shaw’s apartment at 186 Main St. in Greenwood. Shaw had previously assaulted officers and had a juvenile criminal history in Florida, and officers thought he still could have the gun from the robbery, which is why the SWAT team was used, said Bargersville Police Detective Steve Byerly, who investigated the case. Shaw was home and was arrested when police raided the apartment about 3 a.m. Tuesday.

The two other teenagers haven’t been arrested. Police have been talking with the 16-year-old’s parents, but the teen has not returned home since the incident, Byerly said.

The Bargersville teen who was shot told police he knew the 16-year-old who called to ask to buy some marijuana that evening. But when he got into the other teen’s vehicle, another person he didn’t recognize was there. The teen who was shot identified Shaw as the man he didn’t recognize in the vehicle after his brother showed him a photo from Facebook. He later picked Shaw out of a nine-person photo lineup, according to a police report.

Police did not find the gun after searching Shaw’s apartment but later located the red minivan that was used in the robbery at Stop 18 Road near County Road 75E about 5:15 a.m. Tuesday. Police searched the van and found traces of blood as well as one .22 caliber bullet casing in the vehicle, the report said.

Shaw’s mother told police her son and the 16-year-old came back to her house about 10 p.m. Monday, the report said. They went to Shaw’s room and came out a few minutes later, and the 16-year-old was carrying a duffel bag. They told her it was clothes for Shaw’s brother, who was staying overnight at his girlfriend’s home. She also showed police a text message asking her to tell police that Shaw was home all night unless she didn’t want to see him for the next 20 years, according to a police report.

Police are still trying to find the gun used in the robbery, Byerly said. Police are continuing to talk with parents of all three teens, who have been helpful in the investigation, he said.

Prosecutor Brad Cooper will decide what, if any charges to file. If Shaw is charged with armed robbery causing injury, he could face 20 to 50 years in prison if convicted.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

All content copyright ©2016 Daily Journal, a publication of AIM Media Indiana unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.