Daily Journal Masthead

Suspect, Franklin officer injured: Early-morning chase leads to shots fired, crash with squad car

Follow Daily Journal:

A Franklin police officer shot at a man who tried to elude police by driving into a police car and nearly hitting another officer early Thursday.

No one was shot or struck by the vehicle, but the Franklin suspect and one of the officers were treated for injuries they received during the pursuit.

Lawrence A. Mulry, 42, of 3079 Dowden Drive, was arrested on charges of attempted murder, reckless driving, operating while intoxicated, operating while intoxicated causing endangerment, resisting law enforcement, criminal mischief, battery, intimidation and driving with a suspended license, according to a Franklin Police Department news release.

The chase started after Franklin police got a call from Dowden Drive at 2:40 a.m. Thursday from Mulry’s brother, who told police Mulry had broken into his house, and the two had a fight. The brother told police Mulry then drove off, and he had a gun, the news release and Franklin Police Chief Tim O’Sullivan said.

Police tried to pull over Mulry, who was speeding after he left Dowden Drive. The speed limit in the area he was driving through is 50 mph, O’Sullivan said.

Mulry did not stop, and police began chasing him, O’Sullivan said.

Mulry eventually got onto Interstate 65 and then exited onto westbound Interstate 465, where he hit a guardrail, bounced to the opposite side of the road, hit another guardrail and came to a stop. Franklin officers Matthew Smiley and Brian Oliver boxed in Mulry’s vehicle with their patrol cars, got out of their cars and began walking toward him. That’s when Mulry sped toward Smiley and his car, striking the vehicle to push it away, according to O’Sullivan and the news release.

Oliver believed Mulry had struck Smiley with his vehicle and fired shots at Mulry. O’Sullivan wouldn’t say how many shots were fired but said all of the shots hit Mulry’s car.

Franklin police are doing an internal investigation into the shooting, which is standard procedure, O’Sullivan said. Both Smiley and Oliver are on duty, O’Sullivan said.

Officers are permitted to use deadly force when they believe that their lives or the lives of others are in danger, O’Sullivan said.

“All the criteria were met,” he said.

The shooting happened at the ramp of westbound I-465. Thick fog was beginning to roll into the area, but no other traffic was around, O’Sullivan said.

Smiley’s car had front-end damage, and he was hurt after his car door, which no longer worked properly, struck his chin as he was getting back in the car to chase Mulry, O’Sullivan said.

Mulry took the East Street exit, which took him onto U.S. 31. By then the Johnson County Sheriff’s Office, Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department, Greenwood Police Department and Indiana State Police had joined the pursuit. Mulry was stopped shortly after he got to U.S. 31, about 15 minutes after the chase began, O’Sullivan and the news release said.

Mulry was bitten by a Johnson County Sheriff’s Office police dog while he was being arrested and was treated at Johnson Memorial Hospital and released into police custody. Smiley also was treated for his injury at Johnson Memorial and released, O’Sullivan said.

Police also had Mulry’s blood drawn to test his blood-alcohol content, O’Sullivan said.

Mulry was taken to the Johnson County jail, where he was being held on $64,000 bond.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

All content copyright ©2016 Daily Journal, a publication of AIM Media Indiana unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.