Daily Journal Masthead

Storm bringing high winds blows through county

Follow Daily Journal:

Photo Gallery:
Click to view 20 Photos
Click to view (20 Photos)

Early Tuesday storms burst the glass out of store windows, sent a wooden bench flying across a parking lot and knocked trees down onto a home and some cars in Greenwood.

The string of thunderstorms went from Michigan to southern Illinois, crossing through Johnson County with winds blowing at speeds of up to 75 mph, National Weather Service meteorologist Joseph Nield said.

Greenwood only got up to a half-inch of rain but appears to have gotten the worst of the wind damage in central Indiana, he said.

In a shopping center, wind tore the glass out of a door at the front of The Vitamin Shoppe and knocked out large sheet glass windows at Value City Furniture.

A Greenwood woman heard wind and the crashing of branches about 3 a.m., but she didn’t know a tree had fallen on her neighbor’s home and another had crashed into her backyard.

Kim Williamson, who lives on Bo-Mar Lane, was watching to see if Pleasant Run Creek would rise as it did about six years ago, surprising her with thigh-deep water in her yard when the area flooded.

Tuesday morning, she could hear the cracking of branches, and she paced the floor anxious about flooding.

But the rainfall Tuesday wasn’t much, and it’s actually a relief to only have to chop a fallen tree and pick up broken branches on her property, she said.

“I’ll take a little downed trees and rain,” she said.

Her neighbor, John Burkart, only heard the wind, missing the crash of the trees breaking across the street. The wind strew tree branches across his yard.

In a nearby shopping center off U.S. 31, workers smashed and swept up inch-thick sections

of glass on the sidewalk Tuesday morning and boarded up the gaping wall where the windows were.

One man cleaned mulch mixed with glass from the parking lot with a blower and an outdoor vacuum.

A bench from the Value City Furniture store display across from the Greenwood Park Mall had somehow ended up in a nearby parking lot, Steve Coomes with Arco Glass of Indianapolis said.

He wasn’t sure yet how much the total cost for the damage would be, he said.

The store opened as usual that day, and the workers were cleaning Tuesday’s mess and would be installing new glass in a few weeks, Coomes said.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

All content copyright ©2016 Daily Journal, a publication of AIM Media Indiana unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.