Daily Journal Masthead

SWAT team called to Greenwood apartments

Follow Daily Journal:

A Center Grove area apartment building was evacuated in the middle of the night while a police SWAT team searched for a man who was hiding inside.

In the end, police found and arrested Jonathan M. Dehebreard, 27, 1753 Honey Lane, Apt. 5, Greenwood, who is facing charges from July for theft and resisting law enforcement in Marion County.

No one was injured during the incident, but police were unsure of what they would face when they got a tip that Dehebreard was inside, Greenwood assistant police chief Matt Fillenwarth said.

Officers evacuated the 11 other apartments in the building at Honey Creek Apartments, off State Road 135 and north of Olive Branch Road, for two hours starting shortly after midnight Wednesday morning.

The three-story building was emptied as a precaution since bullets could penetrate walls and potentially hit people in other apartments, he said.

Dehebreard failed to appear in court in September, which is why a warrant was issued, Marion County Prosecutor’s Office spokeswoman Peg McLeish said.

Greenwood police also arrested him on a new charge of resisting arrest after he would not follow police instructions during the arrest Wednesday. Officers had to fire pepper balls and shock him with a Taser, Fillenwarth said.

Greenwood police received a tip from a neighbor that Dehebreard was at the apartment, staying with his girlfriend Tara Ellis and her 7-year-old son.

No one answered the door at the second-floor apartment, but police were able to call Ellis. She told officers she was about 20 minutes away but would be heading home. When she didn’t arrive, officers called her again and told her they were not leaving. She told them to get a search warrant.

They did and called in the SWAT team because they weren’t sure who was in the apartment, whether anyone was armed or if there were hostages, Fillenwarth said.

“It wasn’t a hostage scenario, although we were not sure until we went in the apartment,” Fillenwarth said.

He said the residents of the other apartment units were taken to the complex clubhouse for about two hours.

Police got a key from the apartment complex management and entered the apartment. Officers found Ellis and her son in a bedroom and took them outside.

Ellis told police to look inside her son’s bunk beds, where they would find Dehebreard, according to a police report. Officers removed the mattress and took apart the drawers under the bed, found Dehebreard and arrested him, the report said.

Since police were not sure if Dehebreard had any weapons, officers fired pepper balls, which are similar to a powerful tear gas, into the room to try to get him to come out, Fillenwarth said.

He did not leave the room after the pepper balls were fired, so police also shocked him with a Taser and then were able to place him under arrest, he said.

Police did not see any weapons in the home but did not do a detailed search because the warrant was only to go in and find Dehebreard, Fillenwarth said.

Officers also arrested Ellis on charges on neglect of a dependent and assisting a criminal for putting her son in a dangerous situation and helping Dehebreard hide inside the bunk beds, the report said.

Dehebreard would not have been able to reassemble the bed where he was hiding without help from another person, which is why Ellis was arrested, Fillenwarth said.

Police also gave her an alcohol breath test, which registered a blood-alcohol level of .334 percent.

The child was picked up by his grandmother.

Dehebreard was taken to the Johnson County jail, where he was being held on a $1,000 bond for the resisting arrest charge, and later will be taken to the Marion County jail.

Ellis also was taken to jail, where she was released on a $4,000 bond.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

All content copyright ©2016 Daily Journal, a publication of AIM Media Indiana unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.