Daily Journal Masthead

4 people shot in Heritage subdivision residence

Follow Daily Journal:


Police said Andrew Parish shot four people, killing two, before committing suicide on Monday. Scott Roberson / Daily Journal
Police said Andrew Parish shot four people, killing two, before committing suicide on Monday. Scott Roberson / Daily Journal

A 19-year-old woman was shot and killed Monday night in Franklin. Three others were also taken to area hospitals with unknow injuries. Scott Roberson / Daily Journal
A 19-year-old woman was shot and killed Monday night in Franklin. Three others were also taken to area hospitals with unknow injuries. Scott Roberson / Daily Journal

Before heading to his ex-girlfriend’s house, he already had written a suicide note and left it in his bedroom, brought a handgun and assault rifle and put extra ammunition in his car, police said.

When Andrew J. Parish, 21, got to the home in Franklin’s Heritage subdivision Monday evening, the fight between him and his ex-girlfriend grew so heated that her 12-year-old brother ran across the street to get help. When a neighbor and his adult sons came over to try to get Parish to leave, he fired several shots from a handgun.

Four people were shot, but his ex-girlfriend wasn’t one of them. Her mother and a neighbor were wounded, her roommate was killed, and a neighbor who had come to help died hours later at an Indianapolis hospital.

Less than an hour after the shooting, Parish killed himself in front of police at a farm about 4 miles away.

Police are still investigating and piecing together all of the details of the shooting and what happened that led Parish to his ex-girlfriend’s home with a gun.

Parish came to the house in the 2100 block of Bridlewood Drive and started a fight with 19-year-old Maria Davis and then shot four other people, according to authorities.

Sara Davidson, 19, Davis’ friend and roommate, was killed, and Davis’ mother, Lianne Smith, 49, was wounded, police said. Two neighbors who came to help break up the fight, Ernest E. Jasper, 46, and his son Dustin Grey, 21, also were shot.

Jasper died Tuesday morning. Grey was listed in fair condition in the Eskenazi Hospital surgical unit in Indianapolis Tuesday afternoon, a hospital spokesperson said. Jasper’s other son, Danny Scott Jr., 18, was not injured, police said.

No one knew Parish had a gun until he suddenly began firing, police said.

Police recovered some shell casings but aren’t sure yet how many shots were fired, Franklin Detective Adam Joseph said. After firing, Parish left the house, got into his blue Ford Mustang and sped out of the neighborhood.

Parish drove 4 miles to a farm and parked between two large grain bins. A neighbor saw the vehicle, thought it was suspicious and called police about 15 minutes after the shooting. As deputies arrived, Parish shot himself in the head with an assault rifle.

His car was loaded with ammunition, and Sheriff Doug Cox said officers were lucky to find him before he had a chance to hurt anyone else or decided to try to fight with police.

The suicide note police found in Parish’s bedroom at his Franklin home is leading them to believe the short streak of violence was planned. Officers still don’t know what prompted the fight, what was said and who owns the guns that were used. Police have talked with people who were in the house and neighbors but will need to conduct additional interviews.

Joseph had not spoken with Davis as of Tuesday afternoon but plans to ask her for more background about her relationship with Parish and what may have led to the shooting.

Police called the incident a shocking domestic dispute that quickly escalated into violence. The shooting is the first homicide in Franklin and the county this year.

“It’s very concerning, obviously. This is a very violent scene and unexpected. I don’t have words for it,” Franklin Police Chief Tim O’Sullivan said.

No one called police until after shots were fired. Neighbors heard gunfire and called 911 along with one of the people in the house where the shooting occurred. Parish was gone by the time police arrived.

Jasper was taken to Indiana University Health Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis, where she died. Smith was taken to Johnson Memorial Hospital, where he was treated and released. Davis, her 12-year-old brother and Scott were not injured in the shooting.

An autopsy was scheduled for Davidson on Tuesday, Johnson County Coroner Craig Lutz said. The coroner was not planning a full autopsy on Parish but planned to complete blood tests to check for alcohol and drugs.

About 10:30 p.m., a person who lives across the street from the grain bins on County Road 400N called police to report that she saw a vehicle drive onto the property and behind the large metal structures, Cox said. Since the farm was within a few miles of the subdivision, police guessed the vehicle could be the Mustang they were looking for, he said.

Five officers and a police dog came to the farm and began to circle around the grain bins. When a deputy got close to the vehicle, Parish fired a single shot from an AK-47 assault rifle, killing himself, Cox said. He had stepped out of his car and was about 10 feet from the rear of the vehicle, Cox said.

Police searched Parish’s car Tuesday and found the handgun they believe was used in the shooting and extra ammunition, Cox said. Police aren’t sure what Parish planned to do, but he had enough ammunition in the car to harm several more people if he wanted, including police officers, Cox said.

The deputy who responded to the call at the farm wisely waited for more officers to arrive before trying to check behind the grain bins, which likely kept officers safe considering the amount of ammunition Parish had, Cox said.

The suicide note did not have any specific information about what Parish planned to do and did not include any specific threats against anyone, O’Sullivan said. O’Sullivan did not release more information about the contents of the note and said it was vague.

Police had not been called previously for any type of domestic dispute between Parish and Davis, O’Sullivan said.

Police reminded residents that they should call police first during a dispute or in a situation that feels unusual. The people in the house and the neighbors were not aware that Parish had a gun. And while Jasper and his sons intended to help get Parish to leave the house, they unknowingly walked into a violent situation, O’Sullivan said.

“They did what they thought was right to do,” Cox said.

Cox praised the actions of the neighbor on County Road 400N, who called to report a car driving somewhere it shouldn’t, which led to police quickly finding Parish before anyone else got hurt.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

All content copyright ©2016 Daily Journal, a publication of AIM Media Indiana unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.