Daily Journal Masthead

Judge: Killer to stay in prison

Follow Daily Journal:

A man sentenced to life in prison for killing a Greenwood woman in the 1970s will not be released early or moved to a different prison.

A Jefferson County judge denied a request from Raymond Lamb, 67, for a sentence modification. Lamb was convicted in September 1974 of shooting and killing Kathryn “Kitty” Kaufman while she was at work in a Greenwood laundromat. He was sentenced to life in prison for the murder.

Kaufman was shot four times in the parking lot of Sanders’ Cleaners and Laundry in Greenwood, where she worked, on Feb. 13, 1973.

Lamb, who has served almost 40 years in prison, was asking for the judge to change his sentence and allow him to be moved from the Pendleton Correctional Facility to another prison in Spencer, Ind., or Kansas City, Mo., where he has family.

Since Lamb has been in prison for more than a year, any sentence modification has to be approved by the prosecutor, said Doug Cummins, a former Johnson County deputy prosecutor who still works some cases for the county. He went to Jefferson County to object to the modification, and the judge denied the request, Cummins said. Lamb’s murder trial was moved to Jefferson County at the time because of media coverage, he said.

The murder was the result of a rape attempt gone wrong, Cummins said. Kaufman fought back, and Lamb shot her four times with a .38 caliber pistol.

Lamb has unsuccessfully appealed his conviction and sentence multiple times and has been denied parole, or early release, by the Indiana Department of Correction at least 12 times since 1985, Indiana Department of Correction spokesman Doug Garrison said. He was last denied in 2011 and has new hearings every five years, meaning the next chance he has at being released is in February 2016, Garrison said.

Police said Lamb killed or tried to kill multiple women.

On Feb. 11, 1973, police said Lamb shot a woman in Hamilton County twice in the chest. She survived the shooting, and he later pleaded guilty to a charge of assault and battery with intent to kill and was sentenced to two to 14 years in prison, according to Hamilton County court records.

Two days later he shot and killed Kaufman in Greenwood. Also that day, police found that someone broke into a truck at Greenwood Middle School, located about two blocks away, and had stolen a scanner radio, according to information gathered by Cummins from court records and local newspaper stories.

In March, police arrested Lamb in Maryland on a warrant for the Hamilton County shooting and found the scanner that was stolen from Greenwood. Lamb was brought to the Johnson County jail for the theft charge, and police questioned him multiple times about the nearby murder. He later told a Johnson County Sheriff’s Office investigator he had killed Kaufman, according to Indiana Supreme Court records. During his trial, a cellmate testified that Lamb told him about killing Kaufman. Lamb’s wife also testified that he was in the area of the murder that day with a .38 caliber handgun.

Lamb also told the investigator that he had shot and killed 18-year-old Carol Ann Rhoades, according to court records. Rhoades was abducted from near a Whiteland restaurant, sexually assaulted, shot three times and dumped on a county road in Needham Township on Dec. 23, 1972.

Lamb was never charged in that murder. Police were able to determine the same gun was used to kill both Rhoades and Kaufman, but they never recovered the weapon and had no witnesses in Rhoades’ death, Cummins said.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

All content copyright ©2016 Daily Journal, a publication of AIM Media Indiana unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.