Daily Journal Masthead

Fire destroys Edinburgh home; no one hurt

Follow Daily Journal:

Fire destroyed an Edinburgh home Monday night as firefighters spent more than 12 hours battling the flames and problems caused by subzero temperatures.

Edinburgh firefighters were called to 503 S. Walnut St. around 8 p.m. Monday and found the back of the house engulfed in flames. The fire spread, and the building is a total loss, Edinburgh Fire Chief Allen Smith said.

No one was home when the fire started, and no one was injured. Since the weather was so cold, few people were out and likely didn’t notice the flames or smoke until they had burned most of the back of the house, Smith said. Firefighters haven’t been able to determine a cause of the fire yet.

Firefighters also battled ice, as temperatures dipped as low as minus 5 degrees. The cold caused valves on the fire trucks, hoses and nozzles to freeze, which slowed their ability to put out the flames, Smith said.

“Everything was freezing up, our hoses and nozzles and people,” Smith said.

Firefighters continued trying to douse hotspots in the rubble Tuesday morning, Smith said.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

All content copyright ©2016 Daily Journal, a publication of AIM Media Indiana unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.