A family of three cannot return to their Franklin home after it was severely damaged in a fire early Wednesday.
All were able to get out of home in the Franklin Lakes subdivision after a fire started in the garage.
Firefighters spent more than two hours battling the blaze that started about 2:30 a.m. Wednesday in the 800 block of Pin Oak Lane. A husband, wife and child were safely outside the home when firefighters arrived, fire department spokesman Chuck Ridpath said.
The fire started in the garage and quickly spread to the roof. The roof began to collapse, so firefighters were forced to fight the fire from outside.
Flames spread through the attic, causing damage to the roof. Ridpath said the fire also damaged part of the kitchen, and other parts of the home had smoke, heat and water damage. The house is unsafe to live in due to the damage, he added.
Firefighters aren’t sure what sparked the fire, Ridpath said.