EDITOR’S NOTE — Hearts and Darts is published Mondays and as space is available.
To submit an item, email editorial assistant Anna Herkamp at firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to 736-2766, call 736-2712 or mail to P.O. Box 699, Franklin, IN 46131.
Items must include the writer’s full name, city of residence, telephone number and full names of all people mentioned in the item. Items cannot be printed without the writer’s real first and last name and city of residence.
Writers are asked to name no more than 10 individuals and five businesses in hearts and not to name individuals in darts. Items should not exceed 100 words. We do not print darts related to business disputes.
- Hearts to Indiana SADD (Students Against Destructive Decisions), Indiana Criminal Justice Institute and State Farm Insurance for offering traffic safety programming to the Clark-Pleasant Middle School P.E. department in an effort to lower teen fatalities. SADD visits each year with one goal in mind, to save lives. With driving accidents being the No. 1 cause of deaths in 15- to 20-year-olds, we need to promote driving safety. The safety activities focused on promoting seat belt usage, discouraging distracted and impaired driving, and encouraging responsible driving habits. We know this will make a difference in our students’ lives.
Sue Galloway and Rex Olds,
Clark-Pleasant Middle School
- A big heart to Athletic Director Kerry Prather, Dr. and Mrs. Jay Moseley, Food Service Director Les Petroff, the Student Athlete Advisory Committee, and everyone else who supported our first-ever Franklin College Student-Athlete Day on Nov. 3. Also, a big heart of thanks to Glenn Rice of All Occasion Tent Rental for going above and beyond to make sure that the day was a big success.
and the Franklin College Touchdown Club
- More than nine years ago, we moved to Franklin. Living west of Northwood shopping center, pedestrian and bicycle traffic over Canary ditch looked like an accident ready to happen. Present Franklin city fathers took care of the situation very satisfactorily. An attempt to improve “dropped rear axles” of traffic turning west (on Westview Drive from U.S. 31) is a positive effort. I realize the Indiana Highway Department needs to solve the problem. I hope they don’t put in a roundabout, eliminating Enzo Pizza and Taco Bell. Anyway, efforts by the present city administration are positive. Thanks.
- We would like to send out tons of Touch-Down Hearts to Franklin College football coach Mike Leonard. You were so generous with all your donations to Whiteland Warrior Junior Football League (a.k.a. the Franklin College Grizzlies team) We have had an outstanding season (an undefeated regular season). We owe our success to our hard work and your great support. Thanks.
Whiteland Warrior Junior League football coaches,
B.J. Woodall, Kevin Shipp and Jeffrey Spencer
- Thank you to Mike McNeff, the pharmacist at CVS in Franklin, for helping me with my overheated car by giving me antifreeze.
- The Johnson County Banquet committee is very thankful to our community for supporting the annual Thanksgiving Banquet. This wonderful community has donated more than enough money for this year’s banquet. We appreciate each and every person who gives to this program so generously through donations and volunteering. Thank you for the wonderful notes of encouragement and for your continued prayers. To volunteer to work Thanksgiving Day or bake a dessert, please call 979-2659.
chair of Johnson County Banquet
- I would like to sincerely thank everyone that made the opening and dedication of our new fire headquarters a success. I sat down and listed everyone that I could think of and asked others to provide me with names as well. When I was finished, the list exceeded the allowable number of names, and I was worried that I may have still overlooked someone. I would like to express my gratitude and send a huge heart to the Bargersville Community Fire Department staff and family, our wonderful community, our business sponsors, vendors, contractors, neighboring emergency services and guests. We appreciate your support.
Chief Jason Ramey,
Bargersville Community Fire Department
- Hearts to Indiana Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Academy on State Road 135 in Greenwood. When my daughter and a few of her peers decided to learn kickboxing for their senior project, the staff welcomed these girls with open arms. Everyone went out of their way to make them feel welcome and comfortable and continue to be so helpful in every way (including all the accompanying mentoring paperwork). Thank you so much to James and AJ Clingerman, Darrell Smith, Chris McKarski, Enrique Nunez, and all the staff and veteran members who have been so great. As always, everyone at the academy are class acts.
- On Oct. 6 our daughter, Amy Logan married Jason Schilk in a beautiful outdoor setting. The wedding was at the home of Steve and Cindy Odom, just west of Franklin and a little south of the Hopewell Church. Although I had never seen or met these people, they opened up their home to our families and to the others who were in the wedding party. We just want to thank Steve and Cindy Odom again for all that they did and for allowing us the use of their property and home for this very special day.
Mike and Criss Logan and family,