Daily Journal Masthead

Crosswalk to be moved, updated

Follow Daily Journal:

A crosswalk between two Center Grove schools will be moved and better lighted to make it safer for pedestrians.

The Johnson County Highway Department will relocate a crosswalk on Stones Crossing Road between Center Grove High School and Center Grove Middle School Central so that teachers, students and parents won’t have to cross as many lanes of traffic in bad lighting, highway director Luke Mastin said.

The total cost of the project for design and construction will be $201,200. The highway department will cover the cost of the design — which will be $19,800 — and 10 percent of construction costs. A federal grant will cover the remaining 90 percent of the project cost.

Construction will begin after school lets out and is expected to be completed by the time school starts next year, Mastin said. The department will have to get federal approval of the design.

The county has gotten complaints from parents and school officials about the lack of lighting on the street at night. Pedestrians have to cross five lanes, including turn lanes, in order to get across the road. The lights are not enough to illuminate the entire width of the crossing, Mastin said.

The new crosswalk will be farther west on Stones Crossing Road, where an asphalt median will give pedestrians a place to stop if traffic is heavy on one side of the road, he said. Lights will be installed at the new location and should make the crosswalk fully visible at night. A ramp or steps also will be installed to connect existing sidewalks to the new crosswalk, Mastin said.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

All content copyright ©2015 Daily Journal, a publication of AIM Media Indiana unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.