Daily Journal Masthead

Cause of Nineveh fire found to be accidental

Follow Daily Journal:

An investigation of a fire at a home in Nineveh that killed a mother and two children was found to be accidental.

The investigation by multiple agencies found that the fire was started by a candle burning in the living room, according to a news release from the Johnson County Coroner. Investigators said 22-month-old Hailey Lynn Slusher-Abbott, who died in the fire, had been playing near the candle before the fire started, the release said.

John Ryan Slusher-Abbott, who was 5 months old, was also killed in the fire. Their mother, Sirena Slusher-Abbott, 27, and emergency workers tried repeatedly to get into the house to rescue the children. She later died from injuries she suffered in the fire. Her 6-year-old daughter Aley Slusher-Abbott got out of the house and ran for help.

The Indiana State Fire Marshal’s Office, Nineveh Fire Department, Johnson County Sheriff’s Office, Indianapolis Fire Department and the coroner’s office have been investigating since the fire on Nov. 22.


Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

All content copyright ©2016 Daily Journal, a publication of AIM Media Indiana unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.