Daily Journal Masthead

Animal shelter seeks donations

Follow Daily Journal:

Daily Journal staff reports

Tractor Supply in Franklin will conduct a donation drive throughout December for the Johnson County Animal Shelter.

Donated items can include food, bowls, cat litter or any other pet supplies for dogs or cats, which will go to the shelter, 2160 Graham Road in Franklin.

Donation bins will be set up inside the store, 540 N. Morton St.

Information: 736-3924

Help area animals in

need by doing ‘nothing’

A special fundraiser for the Humane Society of Johnson County doesn’t require supporters to leave their homes.

Residents interested in donating can buy tickets and support the organization from the comfort of home without having to go anywhere through the Do Nothing Ball.

Tickets for the non-event are available in a range of prices that patrons set for themselves.

Funds raised will provide for the animals in the humane society’s care and supplement services such as spay/neuter, emergency care and the pet food pantry.

Contact the humane society at 535-6626 or go on line at www.hsjc.org for more information.

Humane Society looking for  volunteers, donors

The Humane Society of Johnson County is looking for community volunteers and donors.

Ways to help include volunteering, fostering animals, becoming a member of the humane society, providing supplies for the humane society’s wish list or making a donation.

The humane society is seeking donations of hard-sided animal carriers for cats and dogs, which might be new or used in good condition. These carriers are needed to transport animals for vet care or adoption events.

Donations are being sought for the Dudley Fund, which provides money for surgeries for homeless animals, such as for:

  • Channing, a Persian cat that came to the Humane Society after being found wandering, badly matted and in poor health due to malnutrition. The vet says he will make a full recovery; however, he needs dental surgery to aid in that recovery.
  • Cindy, a small dog with two bad knees who is now in the humane society’s care. Surgery on her knees will make her pain-free and ready to lead a happy life in a permanent, loving home.

The surgeries are expensive, and help is needed to aid Channing, Cindy and other animals. All donations to The Dudley Fund will help the Humane Society continue to assist these animals.

Donations can be sent to the Humane Society of Johnson County, 3827 N. Graham Road, Franklin, IN 46131. Donations can also be made on line at www.HSJC.org.

Recycle Christmas trees

at 3 local locations

You can recycle your real Christmas tree starting today at several locations across the county.

Take your tree to one of the following locations: near the baseball diamond at Center Grove High School, near the Purdue Extension Office at the Johnson County fairgrounds or Indian Creek Intermediate School.

Take all the lights, tinsel and ornaments off your tree and take the tree out of the bag.

Trees will be accepted until Jan. 10.

For more information, contact the Johnson County Recycling District at 738-2546.

Homestead deduction deadline approaching

Homeowners have until the end of the year to prove they still qualify for the homestead deduction, which reduces property tax bills.

Residents who received a pink form in the mail anytime during the past three years need to return it to the Johnson County auditor’s office by Dec. 31. Anyone mailing the form to the auditor’s office needs to have it postmarked by that date. The form also can be left at the office, at 86 W.

Court St., Franklin.

Anyone with questions or who needs to confirm whether their form has been submitted can call 346-4310 or visit the auditor’s office, between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.

The office will be closed today, Tuesday and Dec. 31.

Scholarship dinner

set at Indian Creek

The 15th annual Carrie Clayburn Memorial Dinner will be Jan. 4 at Indian Creek High School.

The dinner will start at 5 p.m. in the cafeteria of the school at 803 Indian Creek Drive, Trafalgar.

Pork chops from the Indian Creek FFA will be served, and a dinner will be provided by area churches.

Donations will go toward a scholarship in Clayburn’s name.

Clayburn was active in 4-H and was a member of a soil judging team. She died in 1998 of acute hemorrhagic pancreatitis.

Information: 878-2110

Donations accepted

for Sandy Hook victims

A fund has been set up to help with funeral expenses for the victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings in Newtown, Conn.

Donations can be sent to:

Connecticut Funeral Directors Association Newtown Support Fund, c/o Liberty Bank, 171 Silas Deane Highway, Wethersfield, CT 06109. Attn: Ben Floren, Liberty Bank

The Funeral Service Foundation also established an assistance fund to support the needs of victims, funeral directors and the community of Newtown. Donations can be made at www.funeral


Recycle old electronics through county agency

Residents can recycle old electronic equipment on two upcoming Saturdays in Franklin.

The Johnson County Recycling District will host the collections from 9 a.m. to noon Jan. 26 at its office, 900 Arvin Road, Suite A.

Electronics also can be dropped off during regular hours from 8:30 to 11 a.m. and 1:30 to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday at the facility.

People wanting to drop off items are asked to call ahead to make sure someone is there to accept the items. Officials ask that no one leave electronics outside the office when it’s closed.

The following fees apply to televisions: $7.50 for televisions that are 27 inches or smaller; $12.50 for televisions over 27 inches. The fees can be paid with only cash or check. All other electronics are accepted for free.

Information: 738-2546, recycle


Bargersville Senior Center to close until January

The Bargersville Senior Center will be closed for the holidays starting Sunday.

Regular hours of 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and 6 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays at 14 W. Old South St. will resume Jan. 9.

Information: 422-5358, 422-5920

Applicants sought for Johnson County boards

Residents who are interested in serving on boards or working with the government should contact the Johnson County Council.

The council is looking for residents to appoint to a variety of boards at its Jan. 14 meeting.

They’ll pick a council attorney and appoint people to serve on the Property Tax Assessment Board of Appeals, the Local Alcoholic Beverage Board, the Franklin Economic Development Commission, the Board of Zoning Appeals and the Park Board.

Anyone who’s interested in serving in any of those positions should write a letter expressing interest and explaining any relevant qualifications. The letter must be hand-delivered or mailed to the president of the Johnson County Council, c/o Johnson County Auditor, 86 W. Court St., Franklin, IN 46131.

The letter must be received by the auditor’s office by Jan. 7 to be considered.

Applicants also should plan to introduce themselves to the council at its meeting at 6 p.m. Jan. 14 at the Johnson County Courthouse Annex, 86 W. Court St. in Franklin.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

All content copyright ©2016 Daily Journal, a publication of AIM Media Indiana unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.