- Pot legalization group files new signatures in ballot effort Updated: Jul-30-15 6:23 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A campaign to legalize marijuana for medicinal and recreational use in Ohio submitted more signatures Thursday as it tries to get the issue before fall voters.
- Campaign to ease state's pot laws kicks off in Sioux Falls Updated: Jul-29-15 10:23 pm
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - Tattooed bikers, middle-aged health care workers, blue-collar manufacturing employees and others converged on a Sioux Falls bar Wednesday night to work toward a shared goal: easing marijuana penalties in South Dakota.
- As petition looms, Wyoming panel begins look at legal pot Updated: Jul-29-15 7:16 pm
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - Wyoming's anti-pot governor has a warning for a task force he's named to study the effects of legal marijuana: It CAN happen here.
- Daugaard unsupportive of medical, decriminalized marijuana Updated: Jul-29-15 7:11 pm
PIERRE, South Dakota - Gov. Dennis Daugaard says he needs to review proposed ballot measures that would decriminalize marijuana possession and legalize medicinal cannabis, but the governor says he generally hasn't supported such proposals.
- Marijuana legalization advocates hold meeting in Brattleboro Updated: Jul-29-15 12:31 pm
BRATTLEBORO, Vermont - Vermont marijuana growers and advocates gathered earlier this week to discuss proposed legislation that would legalize recreational use of the drug in the state.
- Arkansas attorney general's office rejects 5 pot proposals Updated: Jul-27-15 4:39 pm
CONWAY, Arkansas - The Arkansas attorney general's office has rejected five proposed ballot titles that would have asked voters to legalize marijuana for various purposes.
- Federal laws have banks turning away marijuana businesses Updated: Jul-27-15 2:52 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Federal laws tying marijuana money with money laundering has banks turning away marijuana businesses.
- Nyssa marijuana law to get second reading Updated: Jul-27-15 10:40 am
NYSSA, Oregon - The Nyssa City Council is set to vote on an ordinance prohibiting commercial marijuana operations.
- Oregon TV anchor fired after testing positive for marijuana Updated: Jul-24-15 4:52 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - An Oregon television anchor has turned into a marijuana activist after being fired for testing positive for the drug.
- Sheriff: New law plays 'significant' role in crime rise Updated: Jul-23-15 10:38 pm
LOS ANGELES - A recent change in California law making certain drug and property crimes misdemeanors instead of felonies played "a significant role" in the rising crime rate in Los Angeles County and has taken away the incentive for addicts to seek treatment, Sheriff Jim McDonnell said Thursday.
- Senate panel would allow marijuana vendors to use banks Updated: Jul-23-15 4:07 pm
WASHINGTON - A Senate panel voted Thursday to make it easier for businesses that legally produce and sell marijuana to do business with banks and other financial services providers.
- Medical dispensary files lawsuit over Medford pot sale ban Updated: Jul-22-15 1:41 pm
MEDFORD, Oregon - Medford's ban on pot sales is facing a lawsuit from a medical marijuana dispensary.
- Menominee Indian Tribe to hold marijuana referendum Updated: Jul-22-15 11:10 am
KESHENA, Wisconsin - Menominee Indian Tribe members will have a chance to weigh in on whether marijuana should be legal for recreational and medicinal use on the reservation in northeastern Wisconsin.
- Report: Pot legalization in California presents trade-offs Updated: Jul-22-15 3:49 am
SAN FRANCISCO - A blue-ribbon panel says curtailing the illegal marijuana market in California should be the primary goal of legalizing the drug's recreational use in the state, and not developing another tax source.
- Raids carried out to curb heroin sales in Detroit, suburbs Updated: Jul-21-15 2:43 pm
DETROIT - Police arrested 12 people and seized drugs, handguns, assault rifles and a submachine gun during a series of raids Tuesday aimed at curbing heroin sales in the Detroit area.
- New state law bans open containers of pot in cars Updated: Jul-20-15 11:47 am
OLYMPIA, Washington - A new state law bans open containers of marijuana in vehicles starting Sept. 26.
- National marijuana group raises more in Maine pot race Updated: Jul-20-15 11:25 am
AUGUSTA, Maine - A nationally-backed campaign to legalize recreational use of marijuana in Maine is raising more money than a local effort that has the same goal.
- New marijuana industry wrestles with pesticides and safety Updated: Jul-20-15 10:41 am
DENVER - Microscopic bugs and mildew can destroy a marijuana operation faster than any police raid. And because the crop has been illegal for so long, neither growers nor scientists have any reliable research to help fight the infestations.
- Southwest Oregon county puts pot sales on fall ballot Updated: Jul-17-15 10:02 am
ROSEBURG, Oregon - Voters will decide in 2016 whether to bar marijuana sales in the unincorporated parts of Douglas County.
- Could Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket miss out on medical pot? Updated: Jul-16-15 11:31 am
BOSTON - Massachusetts has a cannabis conundrum.
- Jamaica law to purge minor pot convictions goes into effect Updated: Jul-15-15 6:51 pm
KINGSTON, Jamaica - Jamaica's justice minister has signed an order to expunge some marijuana-related convictions now that the island has partially decriminalized small amounts of pot.
- Anchorage lawmakers want open container laws to include pot Updated: Jul-14-15 12:20 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Anchorage marijuana smokers may soon need to treat pot like an open container under new rules proposed this week by city lawmakers.
- Marijuana opponents using racketeering law to fight industry Updated: Jul-13-15 8:55 pm
DENVER - A federal law crafted to fight the mob is giving marijuana opponents a new strategy in their battle to stop the expanding industry: racketeering lawsuits.
- Marijuana harder to find in Ohio as growers operate indoors Updated: Jul-12-15 1:16 pm
CLEVELAND - A drop in the number of marijuana plants seized in Ohio in recent years can be attributed a greater push by growers to cultivate the plants indoors, according to authorities.
- Lawmakers to hold hearing on tobacco, marijuana bills Updated: Jul-12-15 11:24 am
BOSTON - Legislation aimed at tobacco and marijuana use in Massachusetts is the subject of a public hearing at the Statehouse this week.