- Pending US home sales hit highest level since February '06 Updated: May-26-16 11:22 am
WASHINGTON - Americans signed more contracts to buy homes in April for the third straight month, driving pending home sales to the highest level in more than a decade.
- House votes to bar purchases of heavy water from Iran Updated: May-25-16 11:52 pm
WASHINGTON - The House voted Wednesday to bar the U.S. government from future purchases of heavy water from Iran, undercutting the controversial nuclear pact with that nation and earning a certain veto threat on a key government funding bill.
- O'Keeffe Museum buys artist's rarely seen Lake George work Updated: May-25-16 3:35 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - The Georgia O'Keeffe Museum in Santa Fe has acquired a rarely seen painting created by the artist in 1926.
- Agents say real estate market isn't as fun as it used to be Updated: May-25-16 11:51 am
NEW YORK - Real estate agents are flummoxed by a housing market that's still trying to recover a decade after its historic collapse.
- US new-home sales jump to highest level in more than 8 years Updated: May-24-16 10:36 am
WASHINGTON - Americans ramped up their purchases of new homes in April to the highest level since January 2008, evidence of a strong start to the spring buying season.
- Giants defensive tackle Damon Harrison buys mom a house Updated: May-23-16 4:05 pm
EAST RUTHERFORD, New Jersey - Damon Harrison hasn't played a game for the New York Giants and he has already started delivering.
- Connecticut city a playground for affluent millennials Updated: May-23-16 10:10 am
STAMFORD, Connecticut - When Zahir Dossa decided to propose to his girlfriend, he wanted to do it at a favorite spot- the private rooftop deck of the couple's downtown apartment.
- Wahpeton chamber buying former school district offices Updated: May-22-16 9:21 am
WAHPETON, North Dakota - The Wahpeton-Breckenridge Area Chamber of Commerce has reached an agreement to buy the Wahpeton Public Schools district office for its new home.
- Proposed tax bill cuts costs on suites, not standard seats Updated: May-21-16 10:17 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Minnesota sports fans who watch games from the best seats in the house could get a cushy deal from the Legislature.
- Prosecutors: Teen killed with Chicago family begged for life Updated: May-20-16 7:54 pm
CHICAGO - A 13-year-old boy who listened as his younger brother was stabbed to death by a relative begged for his own life before he was killed in a Chicago attack in which four adults also were slain, prosecutors said Friday.
- Rhode Island House votes to loosen brewery restrictions Updated: May-20-16 11:29 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Rhode Island House has passed a bill that would raise the limit on how much beer can be sold to customers visiting breweries.
- US home sales growth driven mostly by Midwest Updated: May-20-16 10:41 am
WASHINGTON - Midwestern homebuyers helped spark a national increase in real estate sales during April, a sign that demand for housing remains steady despite rising prices and tight inventories.
- Buyer found for 143-year-old Quechee church needing repairs Updated: May-20-16 3:16 am
QUECHEE, Vermont - Officials say an agreement has been reached on the sale of a 143-year-old church needing roughly $100,000 in repairs in Quechee.
- Rhode Island House passes wine biscuit bill Updated: May-19-16 5:30 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Rhode Island House of Representatives has passed a bill to help bakers buy wine in bulk for use in making wine biscuits.
- Average 30-year mortgage rate ticks up to 3.58 percent Updated: May-19-16 3:34 pm
WASHINGTON - Long-term U.S. mortgage rates were little changed this week at or near their lows for the year.
- Review: 'Neighbors 2' is a funny but ill-conceived retread Updated: May-18-16 6:00 pm
LOS ANGELES - Heaven help the next generation of American women if "Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising" represents what Hollywood thinks of them. In Nicholas Stoller's sequel to his 2014 "Neighbors," even the with-it girls - the ones too freethinking to join a cookie-cutter sorority - are so dumb they make the bros in the first movie look like elder statesmen. Smarts aren't the point, of course - the reason these freshmen strike out on their own, renting a house next to Seth Rogen and Rose Byrne, is that they hunger for their very own place to get stoned. But in their awkward attempt to shoehorn these kids into the first pic's formula, Stoller and his writing collaborators care far less about creating believable characters than getting to the next laugh.
- Union accused of misusing funds bought $680K beachfront home Updated: May-17-16 8:50 am
HONOLULU - The leader of a Hawaii electrical workers union who is accused of misusing the organization's funds is defending himself for a $680,000 purchase of a Kauai beachfront home that serves as an office for union members.
- 45 dangerous Kansas City homes snapped up for $1 each Updated: May-17-16 8:29 am
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - Buyers have snapped up 45 dangerous Kansas City houses for $1 each and have a year to make them livable.
- Charge dropped against township leader in Grand Rapids area Updated: May-13-16 5:26 pm
GRAND RAPIDS, Michigan - A criminal charge has been dismissed against an elected official in the Grand Rapids area who was accused of stealing more than $20,000 in a real estate deal.
- Buyers line up for 400 homes wrecked by Superstorm Sandy Updated: May-13-16 1:01 pm
BABYLON, New York - Matt Price and his wife, Carla, are gambling that the devastation inflicted by Superstorm Sandy will be their key to the American dream of home ownership.
- Lowe's gets approval from Canadian regulators to buy Rona Updated: May-13-16 9:59 am
NEW YORK - Lowe's said Friday that it received approval from Canadian regulators to buy rival home improvement retailer Rona.
- Hazardous chemicals post secret threat to Texas neighbors Updated: May-12-16 4:13 pm
HOUSTON - Just outside Pearland, theater patrons come and go within 200 feet of a warehouse that stockpiles a pesticide so toxic it seeped into a family's house in Utah and killed two little girls.
- City of Green Bay gets into business of flipping houses Updated: May-11-16 9:32 am
GREEN BAY, Wisconsin - The City of Green Bay is getting into the business of flipping houses, an enterprise made more popular by home renovation shows on cable channel HGTV.
- Art gallery collective buys Hamtramck 'Disneyland' display Updated: May-07-16 2:20 am
HAMTRAMCK, Michigan - A backyard installation of folk art known as "Hamtramck's Disneyland" has been purchased by an art gallery collective.
- Colorado lawmakers finally confront state's housing crunch Updated: May-05-16 10:15 pm
DENVER - Proposals to tackle Colorado's skyrocketing housing costs have finally been offered in the state Legislature. But lawmakers don't have much time to settle on complicated measures to expand affordable housing.