- Correction: Underage Online Lawsuit story Updated: Apr-30-16 11:45 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - In a story April 29 about a federal judge blocking enforcement of a Louisiana criminal law that requires online booksellers, publishers and other website owners to electronically verify customers' ages, The Associated Press reported erroneously that the law was enacted in 2005. The law was enacted in 2015.
- Medford man with pipe bombs arrested for threatening Obama Updated: Apr-29-16 2:14 am
MEDFORD, Oregon - Federal authorities have arrested a Medford man who they say made online comments threatening President Barack Obama and had several pipe bombs in his apartment.
- Woman in 'Fatal Desire' case admits guilt in prison letters Updated: Apr-28-16 8:23 pm
FLINT, Michigan - A prosecutor says a Flint-area woman who was convicted of enticing her online boyfriend to kill her husband in 1999 has admitted her role in letters from prison.
- Mom convicted of creating public nuisance for Facebook post Updated: Apr-28-16 5:02 pm
ROSWELL, New Mexico - A New Mexico woman has been convicted of creating a public nuisance by posting an online comment about the possibility of a shooting at her son's middle school.
- Police: 80 people arrested in Ontario in child pornography probe Updated: Apr-28-16 2:33 pm
TORONTO - Ontario police say they have arrested 80 people as part of a sweeping investigation into internet child pornography in the province.
- New book examines gender's role in press freedom Updated: Apr-27-16 8:22 am
NEW YORK - Sexualized violence, online harassment and gender-based discrimination all play a role in inhibiting press freedom according to a new book released by the Committee to Protect Journalists on Wednesday.
- Man convicted in 2010, 2011 rapes in Philadelphia park Updated: Apr-27-16 3:55 am
PHILADELPHIA - A man convicted in Wisconsin of sexually assaulting a woman he met online has also been found guilty of raping two women in a northeast Philadelphia park.
- Estonian gets prison in cyberscam that infected 4M computers Updated: Apr-26-16 6:13 pm
NEW YORK - An Estonian businessman has been sentenced in New York to over seven years in prison for his role in a cyberscam that infected 4 million computers in over 100 countries.
- California jurors misusing the Internet could face fines Updated: Apr-24-16 1:13 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Jurors who threaten to derail trials by researching them on Google or posting comments about them on Twitter are often dismissed with nothing more than a tongue-lashing from a judge.
- Ohio bill seeks to punish cyberstalkers, protect victims Updated: Apr-24-16 9:56 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Victims of cyberstalking and other forms of online harassment will now have some protections under a bill headed to the Ohio governor's desk.
- Creator of malware used to drain bank accounts gets 9 years Updated: Apr-20-16 6:17 pm
ATLANTA - The Russian creator of a computer program that enabled cybercriminals to infect millions of computers and drain bank accounts in multiple countries was sentenced Wednesday to serve 9 ½ years in federal prison.
- A decade later, cops plead guilty in Katrina bridge shooting Updated: Apr-20-16 5:40 pm
NEW ORLEANS - Five former New Orleans police officers pleaded guilty Wednesday in deadly shootings in the days following Hurricane Katrina, abruptly ending a decade-old case that tainted an already scandal-plagued police force and reawakened memories of the chaos and devastation from the catastrophic 2005 storm.
- The Latest: Man accused of selling malware gets 15 years Updated: Apr-20-16 5:11 pm
ATLANTA - The Latest on the sentencing of a man who created malware used to drain bank accounts (all times local):
- The Latest: Victim's family gets justice in Katrina shooting Updated: Apr-20-16 4:03 pm
NEW ORLEANS - The Latest on five former New Orleans police officers who have pleaded guilty in the deadly Danziger Bridge shootings after Hurricane Katrina (all times local):
- Walker signs child abuse, trafficking bills Updated: Apr-19-16 5:56 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Gov. Scott Walker signed half-a-dozen bills designed to curtail child abuse and sex trafficking during visits Tuesday to law enforcement facilities around the state.
- Defendant in computer hacking case sentenced to probation Updated: Apr-19-16 2:47 pm
DOVER, Delaware - An Indiana man has been sentenced to probation after pleading guilty to conspiracy to commit computer fraud and copyright infringement in an international computer hacking case.
- Man pleads guilty to making online threats toward Mizzou Updated: Apr-19-16 12:49 pm
COLUMBIA, Missouri - A man charged with posting threats online last year that he would shoot black students and faculty at the University of Missouri's Columbia campus has changed his plea to guilty.
- Detroit-area man sentenced in online prostitution case Updated: Apr-18-16 3:11 pm
INKSTER, Michigan - A 38-year-old Detroit-area man will spend up to 40 years in prison in connection with an online prostitution ring in Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties.
- Chinese citizen pleads guilty to fake computer chip scheme Updated: Apr-16-16 11:02 am
NEW HAVEN, Connecticut - Authorities say a Chinese citizen has pleaded guilty in Connecticut to trafficking in counterfeit computer chips.
- Journalist sentenced to 2 years in LA Times hacking case Updated: Apr-13-16 7:58 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - A well-known social media journalist was sentenced to two years in federal prison Wednesday after he was convicted of conspiring with the hacking group Anonymous to break into the Los Angeles Times' website and alter a story.
- The Latest: LA Times' website hack conviction to be appealed Updated: Apr-13-16 7:22 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The Latest on the sentencing of a journalist convicted of helping hack the Los Angeles Times' website (all times local):
- Final 2 defendants plead guilty in internet fraud case Updated: Apr-13-16 4:40 am
GULFPORT, Mississippi - The final two defendants have pleaded guilty in an alleged scam that federal prosecutors say involved bogus checks and money orders distributed through fraudulent "mystery shopper" internet sites.
- 17 arrested in Rhode Island in Internet gambling ring bust Updated: Apr-12-16 9:15 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Seventeen people, including some notable athletes with professional experience, have been arrested in connection with an online gambling ring, Rhode Island State Police announced Tuesday.
- Man who promised Pharrell show, scammed women gets 2 years Updated: Apr-12-16 4:57 pm
PITTSBURGH - A man who bilked people out of more than $1 million by falsely claiming he could help book a Pharrell concert for a South Korean steel company and targeting women in online dating scams was sentenced Tuesday to two years in prison.
- Ex-tribal partner charged in online lending kickback scheme Updated: Apr-12-16 2:05 pm
HELENA, Montana - A grand jury has charged a former business partner of Montana's Chippewa Cree Tribe with conspiring with tribal officials to skim millions of dollars from the Rocky Boy Indian Reservation's successful online payday lending company.