- Haslam to memorialize victims of Chattanooga shooting Updated: May-26-16 4:30 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Gov. Bill Haslam plans to honor four Marines and a sailor killed in last year's shootings in Chattanooga as part of a Memorial Day ceremony on Friday.
- Rights group: South Sudan army violated civilians in Wau Updated: May-24-16 12:40 pm
JUBA, South Sudan - South Sudanese government soldiers killed, raped, tortured, and detained dozens of civilians in and around Wau town in the country's western Bahr el Ghazal state in recent months, Human Rights Watch said in a report released Tuesday.
- Obama's Hiroshima trip parachutes him into history disputes Updated: May-24-16 7:21 am
HANOI, Vietnam - By visiting Hiroshima, Barack Obama parachutes himself into a seemingly endless dispute among key U.S. allies and trading partners over World War II. In Tokyo's decades-long tug-of-war over history with its neighbors China and South Korea, it's the American president who could end up losing.
- American Legion post inside prison to be named for soldier Updated: May-24-16 12:36 am
BERLIN, New Hampshire - An American Legion post operating inside the state prison in Berlin, New Hampshire, for veterans who are inmates is formally being dedicated.
- The Latest: UN says 50,000 civilians in Fallujah at risk Updated: May-23-16 3:03 pm
DAMASCUS, Syria - The Latest on a violent day in the Middle East, with deadly bombings in Syria and Yemen and the start of an Iraqi government offensive to retake the city of Fallujah from the Islamic State group (all times local):
- Hospital attack caught on camera shows cost of Syrian war Updated: May-23-16 2:56 am
BEIRUT - In the final minutes of his life, Dr. Mohammed Wassim Maaz was making late-night rounds at the children's ward at Quds Hospital in Syria's northern city of Aleppo. Closed-circuit video showed him padding down a corridor in his green scrubs before disappearing off-camera.
- Rebels kill 6 Indian soldiers near border with Myanmar Updated: May-22-16 10:00 am
GAUHATI, India - Heavily armed rebels ambushed and killed six Indian paramilitary soldiers, including one officer, on Sunday in the latest attack in India's insurgency-wracked northeastern region bordering Myanmar.
- Iraq vet who shot neighbors declared legally insane Updated: May-20-16 6:33 pm
LOS ANGELES - An Iraq War veteran who killed his 73-year-old Los Angeles neighbor and wounded the man's wife has been declared legally insane.
- In Yemen's war, untreated cancer patients wait for death Updated: May-19-16 2:22 am
TAIZ, Yemen - When Ali Ghanem's doctors told him his cancer had spread from his colon to his backbone, they said they didn't have the facilities to give him the needed radiation treatment in his home city of Taiz, in central Yemen, and that he needed to get to the capital.
- Memorial plaques taken down for maintenance in Hanson Updated: May-18-16 2:11 pm
HANSON, Massachusetts - City officials say memorial plaques that were believed to have been stolen were only temporarily taken down for maintenance.
- Bracelet honoring fallen soldier returned to his mother Updated: May-18-16 1:56 am
KATY, Texas - A Texas woman hopes to find the original owner of a bracelet engraved with the name of her son, an Army veteran who was killed in Iraq, after it turned up hundreds of miles away in Minnesota.
- The Latest: Officials say day's death toll in Baghdad now 69 Updated: May-17-16 9:18 am
BAGHDAD - The latest on a wave of militants attacks in Iraq as government forces battle the Islamic State group (all times local):
- Early numbers show high tick-related deaths for moose calves Updated: May-15-16 6:21 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - In the battle between ticks and moose, the blood-sucking insects seem to have the upper hand.
- Crowds line streets to honor US Navy SEAL killed in Iraq Updated: May-13-16 9:41 pm
CORONADO, California - Thousands of people - including motorcycle-riding combat veterans, schoolchildren waving flags and mothers with strollers - lined the streets of this military town Friday as the funeral procession of a Navy SEAL killed in Iraq passed by on its way to a national cemetery.
- The Latest: Thousands line streets to mourn fallen Navy SEAL Updated: May-13-16 4:52 pm
SAN DIEGO - The Latest on the funeral of a Navy SEAL killed in Iraq (all times local):
- Navy SEALs mourn fallen brother in memorial ceremony Updated: May-13-16 2:31 am
CORONADO, California - More than a thousand people gathered in the military town of Coronado on Thursday to mourn Charles Keating IV, a U.S. Navy SEAL who was shot and killed by Islamic State militants in Iraq this month.
- Fort Campbell soldier dies during training in Louisiana Updated: May-12-16 5:41 pm
FORT CAMPBELL, Kentucky - The Army says a 101st Airborne Division soldier has died from injuries suffered during a live-fire training exercise at Fort Polk, Louisiana.
- The Latest: Soldier killed during training exercise is ID'd Updated: May-12-16 5:01 pm
FORT CAMPBELL, Kentucky - The Latest on death of 101st Airborne Division soldier (all times local):
- Mali army vehicle hits land mine that kills 2 soldiers Updated: May-11-16 3:34 pm
BAMAKO, Mali - A Mali official says two soldiers have been killed and one wounded after their vehicle hit an improvised explosive device in the north.
- Israel celebrates 68th birthday after solemn Memorial Day Updated: May-11-16 3:01 pm
JERUSALEM - In a jarring contrast, Israel transitioned Wednesday night from melancholic reflection to remember its fallen soldiers and victims of terrorism to joyous Independence Day festivities in celebration of 68 years since the modern Jewish state was formed.
- Navy SEAL killed in Iraq to be promoted posthumously Updated: May-11-16 1:20 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. Navy SEAL who was shot and killed by Islamic State militants in Iraq on May 3 is being promoted to the rank of chief petty officer, the Navy said Wednesday.
- Raimondo unveils plan to combat opioid overdose deaths Updated: May-11-16 12:41 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island Gov. Gina Raimondo has introduced what she calls a comprehensive plan to combat drug overdose deaths in the state.
- The Latest: SEAL to be buried at national cemetery Updated: May-10-16 7:58 pm
SAN DIEGO - The Latest on the burial of U.S. Navy SEAL Charles Keating (all times local):
- Adriane Ohanesian wins prize named for AP photographer Updated: May-10-16 3:15 pm
WASHINGTON - Kenya-based freelance photojournalist Adriane Ohanesian, who has documented conflicts in Sudan and South Sudan, has won an award for courage named for an Associated Press photographer killed on assignment in Afghanistan in 2014.
- Deployed Washington National Guard soldier dies in Iraq Updated: May-08-16 5:36 pm
SEATTLE - A Washington National Guard soldier, who was a state trooper in his civilian life, has died in Iraq in a noncombat related incident, the Defense Department said Sunday.